Joan Rivers, the iconic snarky queen of comedy, was laid to rest today. After spending my day flipping the tv channels between OWN’s Super Soul Sunday and CNN’s coverage of Joan’s life and career, it got me thinking about a question that I ask myself often, “Are you building a legacy that will outlive you?”
I’ll admit I wasn’t a die-hard Joan Rivers fan. But she stayed relevant into her 80’s, which is a reason for us all to celebrate her #Kandid contributions to the world.
So, between Esquire Magazine and good old television here is a collection of my favorite life and career quotes from Joan Rivers!
- Don’t expect praise without envy — until you’re dead.
- God doesn’t care that I have a sandwich on Yom Kippur. He cares that I helped a blind man across the street (My favorite)
- I walk on stage and say, “this is my space and if you don’t like it, f*ck you.” it took me 35 years to get to this space.
- I’m in a business where it’s not about race. It’s about talent and hard work. Period. You got it, you make it. If you don’t got it, you don’t got it.
- “My whole career has been one rejection after another and then going back and back and pushing against everything and everybody. Getting ahead by small, ugly steps.”Never settle for rejection.
- I succeeded by saying what everyone else is thinking.” Don’t be afraid to speak up.
May she rest in paradise.
Peace, Love and Lessons!