Sometimes I consider myself an accidental entrepreneur. Seriously, I never dreamed about owning a business or living a location independent lifestyle. I was simply frustrated with the 9-5 grind and decided to give this “girl boss” life a try.
So when I took the leap into the unknown, I thought my biggest challenge would be finding clients and learning how to sell my services. But in reality, marketing and selling were a small (yet significant) part of the success equation. My biggest challenge was my mindset—lack of confidence, comparison, passion, and hustle, were my day-to-day challenges. Sure, I had the skills to land high-paying clients, but I couldn’t get out of my own head.
So if you’re like me, every now and then you need to get your mind right. From boosting your confidence to executing your ideas and networking with like-minded people, these books will help you navigate the entrepreneurial journey. Check out a few of my favorite books below.
- The Power of Broke, by Daymond John – Investor and star of ABC’s Shark Tank and FUBU founder, shares his experiences as an entrepreneur and branding consultant and delves into the stories of other entrepreneurs who have hustled their way to wealth.
- I Dare You by Joyce Meyers – If you’re struggling with finding passion and purpose, I Dare You, is an empowering book that will inspire you to create a life beyond what your eyes can see. From mindset and financial responsibility to cultivating daily habits of success, this book was a game changer for me.
- Steal Like An Artist by Austin Kleon – A New York Times Bestseller, “Steal Like an Artist” really helped me get unstuck and over the “but it’s been done before” syndrome. From finding the beauty in procrastination to combining two passions, this is a book you’ll pick up often.
- You’re a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life by Jen Sincero – an incredibly “kandid” how-to guide and insights, on how to live life on your own terms.
- The Four Agreements by Miguel Ruiz – In The Four Agreements, bestselling author don Miguel Ruiz walks you through the source of self-limiting beliefs that rob us of joy and create needless suffering.
- Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill – Although Think and Grow Rich was written in 1937 by Napoleon Hill, it’s still a best seller and comes highly recommended by many successful people in business. This book covers the experience of more than 500 men of great wealth, who began at scratch, with nothing to give in return for riches except thoughts, ideas and plans.
- The 4-Hour Work Week: Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere, by Tim Ferris – is a self-help book covering how to flee the rat race, tips for working smarter, not harder like outsourcing activities, templates for getting rid of email, and tech shortcuts.
- Jab, Jab, Jab, Right Hook by Gary Vaynerchuk – Never one to shy away from dropping a few F-bombs, Gary provides some great examples of how to use social media platforms.
Oh, and by the way, my eBook: “Wake up. Slay. Repeat: 7 Step Guide to Quitting Your Job & Creating a Life on Your Own Terms,” is another great resource to add to your library. You can purchase it here.